April 9, 2013

Wrestlemania 29 Thoughts

I didn't watch the pre-show but congrats goes out to the Miz for becoming the new IC champ. Now on to the main show. This year's Wrestlemania was so so at best, I expected more and felt like something was missing (I get to that toward the end of this post). First match up Sheamus, Orton, and Big Show vs The Shield. When Sheamus,Orton, and Show came out it appeared they were all on the same page. During the match it was blatantly obvious that Show was essentially the third wheel for Sheamus and Orton. Show made great efforts to help and wanted to be tagged in but was basically ignored. The Shield on the other appeared to be like always, a well oiled machine. Which is why they won. Show's frustrations ended with knockout punches to Sheamus and Orton after the match. I have to say while Reigns is the power of the Shield, I found myself drawn to the bordering on psychotic Ambrose. He seems to be the breakout character of the group. Next match: Mark Henry vs Ryback. I wasn't into this match in the slightest  The match however gave me a newfound respect for Henry. I felt Henry carried this match. As much as I like Ryback with the exception of him lifting Henry after the match, he was a huge disappointment. Henry won the match but I was left wishing he had a better opponent. Next match was one of my faves of the night: Team Hell No (Kane & Bryan) vs Ziggler & Big E. (with AJ of course). I enjoyed this match from start to finish. Kane did a great job of making Big E. look good. Big has a chance of going really far if the pair him up with the right people to fight. I would love to see Big E. and Kane fight again, one on one this time of course  While the match was great, Ziggler seemed to fade into the background for me and at times I forgot he was even there. AJ, while she did her crazy chick routine, just like with Ziggler I forgot she was even there at times also. I have something else regarding her but I'll save that for the end also. Anyway Team Hell No retained their belts, oh the reason why I didn't mention Bryan was because he too faded into the background. Ahh we come to the surprise of the night: Fandango vs Jericho. Fandango is not a great wrestler to me and that's why I was so surprised that he won against Jericho of all people. I'll give him a chance though, maybe he'll improve. There's not much to say about this match because it was a bad match, even the great Jericho couldn't make this guy look good. Next match is one I missed, Del Rio vs Swagger,Del Rio won. Next matchup was Undertaker vs C.M. Punk for the streak. This was one of the more milder streak matches. I'll be frank, I was bored and wanted it to over as quick as possible  Undertaker won 21-0 now, so I was more happy with the result than I was with the match itself. HHH vs Lesner was really good. There were times I really thought HHH was done for but he pulled through. This was one of the more physical matches. Last match was Cena vs Rock. It was boring, Cena won and I was disappointed by how boring it was.Now back to what I was referring to in the beginning of the post. Wrestlemania was missing a Divas moment. The fact that Trish was just inducted into the Hall Of Fame and there was no Divas Championship was appalling. Kaitlyn and A.J. had a great couple of matches and would have had a good match at wrestlemania. Why? you may ask. It's because out of all the other Divas Kaitlyn has the most history with A.J. than any other Divas on the roster. It's become the norm now for the Divas to have little to no matches( even with the added hour on Raw). The other thing was the IC match should have been on the main show. On a scale of 1-10 I give this Wrestlemania a 6. From the matches to the crowd, it left a lot to be desired. The disappointing superstars of the night were: Ryback, C.M. Punk, The Rock. The breakouts were: Big E., Kane, Ambrose, and Show. Until next time, later wrestling fans.




*Image above is the sole property of WWE

No comments: